The Euroz Big Walk for Perth Children’s Hospital Foundation on Sunday 17 March is a chance for our community to…
WA schools come together to launch The Big Splash WA Schools Program
On Thursday, August 3rd, The Perth Children’s Hospital Foundation launched The Big Splash WA Schools Program. Teachers and Principals from the Perth metro area, as well as regional schools through teleconference, gathered to hear about The Big Splash Schools Program and how to implement the specially designed Schools Resource Kits.
Teachers and Principals heard from Specialist Clinical Psychologist, Julie McCormack and Director of Clinical Services, Dr Caroline Goossens around the reasons why The Big Splash WA program is so vital in increasing awareness about the importance of positive mental health messages.
The Big Splash Schools Program is an integral part of the movement to start the conversation around mental health and will be kicking off in Terms 3 and 4 of 2017.
The aim of the Schools Program is to educate in an engaging and artistic manner, and allow sometimes difficult discussions to begin between children, teachers, parents and carers.
Funds raised will initiate innovative programs at Princess Margaret Hospital and Perth Children’s Hospital for children and adolescents with severe mental health disorders who are at significant risk.
The Big Splash WA Schools Program provides:
- Age specific education packs for K to 12 to encourage in-class creative thinking and promote mental health and well-being.
- Education packs for teachers to guide them in leading their students through the program.
- Education packs for parents to help them initiate and navigate conversations with their children around mental health and well-being.
- A dolphin sculpture* for students to decorate as part of an interactive art element of the program designed to stimulate creativity and further facilitate mental health conversations.
- The opportunity to participate in Big Splash activities including an interactive walking trail through the pod of dolphins.
- The opportunity to include their school dolphin* in local community displays.
*All dolphin sculptures are now sold.
Schools Resource Kits will soon be available for purchase and download so that more WA schools will have the chance to get involved with this great initiative!
Click below to see all the highlights from the Schools Launch Event:
If you would like to find out more about how your school can get involved or to purchase the Student Resource Kits, please contact our Big Splash WA Schools Coordinator Ruth, email@example.com
Find out more about The Big Splash WA